Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I'm a follower of Jesus Christ, a orthodox monergist, pre-millenialist, and a Southern Baptist. Yes, I know I'm all jacked up!

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

First Thoughts of the O.T.

I read through Genesis 1 yesterday. I must confess that I was incredibly tired due to a lack of sleep the night before. Well obviously at first glance in Genesis 1 we see the Creator creating the creation. Ha. I love using words like that! If we take just the surface writing here we would find that God created everything in 6 days. That's just the basic idea being given here. However, I would like to offer simply an observation that blew me away.
God created in a completely ORDERLY way. God by no means created by the "seat of His pants" so to speak. There is tremendous planning involved. Just read through the text and you will get this picture that God had all this planned out. To me this is a view into His sovereignty. Also speaking to the order of things, God issued the decree that the living beings reproduce "after their own kind." I never realized how many times that is used in this scripture. The writer was really attempting to express to us that God had ordained for beings to procreate within their own kind. Again this just adds to the feel that God was orderly in His creating.
Could it be that we've been so caught up in trying to find out how long the days lasted that we totally missed the message of the text? I really believe that the message of the text is that an orderly, all-powerful God created what we see out of nothing. Could it be that Moses is not trying to give us the totally incompassing information about the formation of the universe, but is attempting to show us something rather about the Creator?
On a more theological note, I find it interesting that in Genesis 1:26 God speaks of Himself in the form of plurality. "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness...." Is that an early reference to the Trinity?

2 Comments:

Blogger Byroniac said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Byroniac said...

I really like that focus on the orderliness of God's creation. It seems to be obvious in hindsight, but it took your blog to point that out to me. Thanks!

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home